The End

At the end of all things old is the beginning of something new.

6/09/2005

Did I do that?

I've been finding out more and more recently that it's my duty to defend the faults and wrongs of the entire black race. That's what other people seem to think anyway.

We had a discussion (which I normally call discussions, but I think became more of an argument) in American Federal Government class. The teacher was on the subject of the general opinion in America being that, if you work hard in life, you can accomplish whatever you choose. I used to agree with that, but as I've grown up, I've been finding that things are a little more complex than I had at first thought.

The teacher knew I wanted to say something, so he asked my opinion. My basic stance was, I don't think America is fair, but it is the way it is. Some people have it harder in life, but giving them a hand-out doesn't make it any better.

What pissed me off is that, here I am, sitting in a college class, but you're lecturing me as if I had my hand out for your welfare money. Bullshit. They weren't saying it generally either, they were saying it to me as if I would just pass this along to the rest of the black race.

Here it goes: Black people, we all need to get jobs and support ourselves!

Moving on, we talked about illegal immigrants (healthcare, pay, etc.) and other relates things. I admit I was being sarcastic, but it seemed like when I was being serious, they ignored me and acted like I was being foolish. I had to make some pretty outrageous comparisons to make any kind of point.

At the end of class, I ended up losing it. The main guy I was arguing with starting directing comments to me about working nonglamorous jobs and doing what you had to do to get ahead. Again, I told him, that's why I'm in the class and I've worked plenty of jobs that I hated just to get by.

I don't know what would've happened if we had more class time. There were those that agreed with me, and one guy who even told me he was from a privelaged family and admitted he had it easy. That doesn't mean he would go off and use drugs and such like the teacher was suggesting.

Still, that's why I like America. Even though I've gotten tickets and jail time because of me thinking we have true free speech.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger KryptonBornSon said...

I wonder if I could find that? It would be good for amunition for a future class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home