The End

At the end of all things old is the beginning of something new.

5/26/2005

Who is Mike Jones?

Really, who the hell is he? Where did this guy come from?

Being from Houston, when I was in high school, it used to be common for dudes to flow like Lil' Flip and Mike Jones do. Cats would carry around little tape players with a speaker and hold it up to their ear, maybe listening to screwed 2Pac or some Houston cats. On the back of the bus cats would bust out and start freestyling off the top of their heads, passing it from man to man, until somebody fucked up. Sometimes they were tight, and other times it was weak. That's exactly what Mike Jones album sounds like.

Now, I was shocked that Mike Jones album is actually pretty cool. The production is top notch. Only if the tracks were given to better lyricists. His album is very easy to listen to as long as you only occasionally listen to the lyrics. Now, Mike is not that bad, but he talks about the same stuff alot. A whole lot. Even listening to the iTunes demo, I heard "candy paint" on many of the songs. He at least tries to rap about different subjects.

Simplistic lyrics are tollerable since this is a riding album (the screwed version is for smoking), I can't complain since the dudes in Houston act like Jay-Z's lyrics are too complicated. Seriously. I'm not playing. This is a good album if you treat it like what it is. I will never be a Mike Jones fan though. I personally won't do too much paying for albums that, aside from the beats, could've been done over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home