Periodicals v. Graphic Novels
I'm currently reading Eisner/Miller and there was some things they were saying about periodicals and what have you. From that, I've realized that I really don't want to do periodical comics. I would much rather do stories released as volumes that come to eventual conclusions.
I didn't plan on organizing this thought, so I'll break it up as much as possible to see if that will help. First, I don't like to be rushed. If you have a schedule, yes you are forced to do something and you often come up with spectacular things, but you always feel pressured. It makes you feel like you're procrastinating and wasting time, when you really aren't. You just want time to put your ideas together. Something moving forward is more important than strict time tables. Book authors, which I consider myself more as than a periodical writer, don't release books at regular intervals. In fact, many wait years in between writing books for whatever reason. I want to think of my works as doing a volume of Harry Potter rather than a monthly magazine.
I don't like the restrictions in storytelling of a 20 or 30 page comic either. Sure, chapters in a graphic novel could fit in the constraints of that, but I'd much rather have the flexibility. Also, the quality of a monthly tends to fluctuate because of schedules and such. Not just from repetition, but from the need to constantly put on something new in with a title. When you look at it, the reason why Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man's quality fluctuate so much is because they really are more like magazines than stories.
Anyway, I want to do finite unscheduled stories. I hate time. That is one thing I've learned to live without this school break. I don't like it and don't need it. Yes, I will give people an idea as when to look out for things, but not enough to make it feel like a whip. Especially how my life is now, promising to do anything with regularity and failing makes me feel like a <b>loser</b>. I really don't bullshit my time away.
As far as stories are concerned, I'm writing a graphic novel now. I'll be doing a periodical of sorts soon alongside that. I've decided to just allow my Black-Man story wait to be written in book form after I finish this project with my brother. The writing is basically already done, but it'll probably take another few weeks or months to iron it out. So far for now, I see that it is better to give one thing your complete attention at a time creatively.


5 Comments:
Wuz going through the ring, and your skills are HOT! Gonna bookmark your site most definitely.
Could you please change the url for the blackblogz homepage from: http://www.othellobloke.co.uk/cgi-bin/index.pl?b=blackblogz,m=latest
to http://www.blackblogz.com
Though I normally don't suggest that anyone ape anyone else's actions, sometimes it is necessary. If we didn't at one time or another copy someone else, we would never learn how to speak or walk. Follow the example of Stephen King, Charles Dickens,Edgar Rice Boroughs, Dave Sim or even the Manga writers, writing shorter installments of an protracted ongoing tale in a magazine with intent to collect them in novel form. That's where the real money is, anyway.Prestige, too, so far as a non-children's book writer gets these days. There's just something about a flimsy periodical that harkens to the heyday of the scandal sheet tabloids and what self-respecting America still reads those in public and admits to it? The stories in the tabloids aren't as plausible,though. There aren't any armies of persnickety Simons out there looking to point out some flaw in the science behind their stories as there are with comicbooks.
Blast, if I remebered my password, I would have had to sign in anonymously or left my blog untouched in lo these many months. I think I'm just going to get a new password. Faux Furry out.
Definately want to do the volume stuff. If I do periodicals there will a bunch of that "to be continued..." stuff, but without the necessary cliffhanger. Well, it might be necessary seeing as how you have to get the reader to come back.
As far as originality, it's overrated. How many guys claimed they were the first one to do something when they collective got the idea from their surroundings. They were just the first one to publish the idea. From then on, everybody has to give them credit, even if they thought up the idea on their own so many years later.
I definately don't mind following the example of some of those cats you mentioned.
Hot Blog G.....
Post a Comment
<< Home