My Horoscope Today Was Pretty Close... (or Racism at its most Ridiculous or Put Your Racial Slurs Here, Please!)
Horoscope: "Quickie: Lots of factors are at play. You don't have to take it personally, thank goodness.
Overview: Don't worry about this being an unlucky day. It might be a flat tire that puts you there, but you'll undoubtedly end up in the right place at the right time."
I'm been restless, posting my butt off among other things all night. I actually tried to go to sleep tonight, but it was no use. So I went back to the gaming forums to see what was up. Not much changed, so I went to check my site stats to see where the recent surge of visitors was coming from. I wasn't at all surprised by the ones that came from my thousand posts on the Gamespot.com and GameTrailer.com message boards, but I was a little curious about a few.
I noticed some came from the Technorati search engine, I don't know how I got on there, the other searches were from Google. I suppose from there, somebody found my Xbox arguement convincing enough to link to at the Opa Ages forums. Once I got through the registration process, I discovered a rather one sided discussion with my Xbox blog entry as the lead arguement as if I was some kind of gaming guru. The title of the post was "Ashiedu Nwadiei on Xbox 360." I felt honored.
Now, I absolutely hate one sided arguements, so I was pissed that the first post was going in that direction. He had a rather strong opinion about my liking of Halo. When I say Halo, I mean Halo 1 & 2. I didn't see much difference and I've owned the bootleg Mac version, Halo 1 & Halo 2 for Xbox. With that as the first arguement, I was certain to see my undefended post zealously trashed by Halo lovers. I was prepared for that what I wasn't prepared for was this:
ironworkers for truth: "As soon as Hans figures out what nationality that guy is, expect the appropriate racial slur."
or:
DeadmeatGA: "What does a nigger know? Nothing."
or:
Hans (This guy is an administrator): "Who the fuck cares what this person thinks? His opinion is as good as EZHooker's."
I wasn't exactly furious, people can be extremely ignorant and just plain stupid on the internet. Most wouldn't have the hearts to say what they say on the internet to my face. [Seriously, you have anything hateful to say, I'll give you my telephone number] I haven't ever experienced this kind of behind-my-back internet racism before however. It was weird. I don't know how I was discovered or how I ended up on that message board, but yet someone, somewhere still hated me. Ain't that the way. Sometimes I feel like no matter what I do or what I think, when people find out I'm black the first thing they will judge me on is my race. Often, this is the case.
Now, I was defended. The first time wasn't too much, but it was something. The next post I really appreciated.
LaikaComeHome: "What do you know? You like to pretend that you know a lot, but you don't."
after him, I got my three cents in. Then:
creamy chowder with lumps: "nevermind deadmeat, friend.
he isn't to be taken seriously.
rather, he is merely a mask concealing the identity of one too cowardly, too ashamed, to reveal himself.
i agree with much of your sentiment, feeling the premature release of the xbox360 exposes microsoft to a brand of criticism that they were immune to this gen.
with the ps3 coming in with a SIGNIFICANT power advantage, the xbox360 has been rendered irrelevant, at the hands of microsoft, relegated to the back of the bus with the weakest hardware and even less third party interest than its predecessor suffered through.
microsoft can package the release of the 360 as "cool" and "edgy," marketing it as the "extreme" alternative, but it's all just so transparent, a ploy to divert attention from its glaring inconsequentiality -- inferior visuals that're only a minor step up from the xbox, poor third party support, and no true HD support.
i, too, am a negro.
u r my friend."
Like I said, I appreciated that. All of it. I reported those posts, but when I noticed that one of the ignorant party was an administrator and the running comments along the top of the page (12 niggers currently being lynched in #opa-ages , 13 babies lost their gaming-age nigger daddy to #opa-ages) I realized that my complaints might just go ignored. I was pissed off at the guy for linking to me on such a site. I mean, he practically used my blog post as a shield. He didn't get insulted at all! I emailed him and spoke my mind pretty well. The other guys I emailed and private messaged head on. I doubt I'll get a response. I wonder why they posted on another site to respond to me instead of my blog? I did get a response from my defender, but what I didn't understand is why he still visits these kinds of forums with all of the racism going on. He said it was for the intelligent discussion and lax administration. I guess they must not know he's black. Weird that it would make a difference.
My horoscope was pretty well on I suppose. I even got a flat tire a few days ago.


2 Comments:
Man your comments are a breath of fresh air. I'm a fellow black hard core game and racism on internet video games and message boards needs to be stop. Some people are so insecure with themselves that they have to bash their fellow man for no reason besides their god given skin color. I salute you for being brave and not being startled by cowardly racism.
"Man your comments are a breath of fresh air. I'm a fellow black hard core gamer and racism on internet video games and message boards needs to be stopped. Some people are so insecure with themselves that they have to bash their fellow man for no reason besides their god given skin color. I salute you for being brave and not being startled by cowardly racism."
I pushed publish your comm on accident before I could edit it =/
Post a Comment
<< Home